At this link, the Ohio Department of Education presents the new ePublication version of Community Schools, a long-standing newsletter for sponsors, administrators and staff of Ohio community schools. We know you’ll benefit from its timely news, information and multi-media resources.
Because Community Schools is now interactive, we hope to improve our service to you continually through the feedback you give us by clicking the “Comment” button at the end of each article. We’ll send you notification of new and updated content frequently, and we hope you’ll pass this ePublication along to others you think it will benefit. You may unsubscribe any time.
ODE is committed to supporting school choice options as critical links to the knowledge and skills Ohio’s students need to build successful lives. We look forward to continuing our relationship with you. If you have difficulty opening the link above, please contact Patti Gray, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are prior publications.
Community School Newsletter
- October 2012 - Process begins for sponsors wishing to open new eschools for next school year; Using the Community School Licensure Flexibility option; Community Schools required to adopt Acceleration Policy for early admittance into kindergarten; Community Schools required to adopt grade promotion and retention policy; Third Grade Reading Guarantee provisions and resources available; Summary of newly legislated responsibilities and their effective/due dates; ODE offers communication toolkit for principals on new Ohio learning standards; Professional learning series focuses on Moving Standards into Instruction; New extended standards available now - fall trainings scheduled; Alternative Assessment training scheduled; Physical education evaluation training workshops to be held this fall; New FIP Your School Ohio Resources Available; Information available about Intervention Specialist service provider caseload ratios; Community School Transportation Update; Free workshop with a 2012 National District of Character. PDF
- September 2012 - no publication
- August 2012 - HB 153 permits up to five new eschools to open after Jan. 1, 2013; Community Schools Proof of Residency issues addressed; Age Requirement for early enrollment of Kindergarteners into community schools explained; Reminder: Licensure requirements for community schools outlined; ODE continues to refine Ohio’s Academic Content Standards and provide support to the field; ODE releases video for parents; Download and print revised diagnostic assessments; INFOhio offers Online Boot Camp on the Common Core; Recorded webcast explains how tool will guide transition to new assessments; Hearing of Intent to Redesignate the Ohio P&A and CAP for People with Disabilities; School Finance Workshop for Charter Schools scheduled Aug. 8; Free access to online resources available to Ohio schools through 2012-2013; ODE unveils first in series of ePublications; Resident Educator information available online. PDF
- July 2012 - Sponsors are required to attend Sponsor Update Workshop on July 31st; Community school information and analysis of S.B. 316 available on ODE website; Plans for makeup of excess calamity days via online lessons due July 31; Clarification on credentialing for Community Schools; OSEP Guidance Regarding Functional Behavioral Assessments; New Assistive Technology Internet Modules; New Web page simplifies access to standards information; Ohio Academic Content Standards – Extended (OACS-E) are available online; Ohio Innovative Learning Environments conference to be held July 30 to Aug. 3; 6th Annual Special Education Leadership Conference Registration is open; Greg Richmond to join Michelle Rhee at OAPCS state conference; SSTs hosting professional development opportunities for community schools and sponsors; Summer training available for teaching Financial Literacy; Online study group helps incorporate eBooks into the classroom; The Khan Academy: A Great Start for Blended Learning; Get your school safety plan ready for 2012-2013; Free workshop offered on “Becoming a School of Character”; Congratulations to A+ Arts Academy Community for receiving AVID grant funding. PDF
- June 2012 - Reminder regarding June 1st calamity days form deadline; Update on Competitive PCSP grant; Four Imagine community schools receive Ohio Promising Practice awards; Ohio Teacher Evaluation System (OTES) trainings offered statewide; June 12 Webinar scheduled – Moving Forward Safe and Supportive Learning; Please watch for upcoming mailing to all Ohio licensed educators; ODE addresses upcoming changes with Top Tips webpage; Register now for July Ohio Safe Schools Summit; Ohio Innovative Learning Environments conference to be held July 30 to Aug. 3; 6th Annual Special Education Leadership Conference Registration is open; Michelle Rhee to Speak at Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools State Conference; Ohio Academic Content Standards-Extended (OACS-E) finalized and posted; Disability Rights Ohio changes name; OLAC unveils new assessment tools; Ohio chosen for School Meal Program Community Eligibility Option (CEO) 2012-2013; 23rd Annual Coordinated School Health Conference is June 25 – 27; National Network of Partnership Schools (NNPS) announces new publication; Toledo School for the Arts receives 2012 Governor’s Award for the Arts; MBR legislative deliberations continue; House Bill 386 addresses casino tax revenues for education; Please make note of IDEA financial review updates; Check the SOES system or the SOES Corner for upcoming dates for SOES Trainings; Transition of SOES data collection to EMIS postponed; FY2011 transportation cost reports are posted; Prepare now for T2 reports; Please note upcoming community school calendar dates for June. PDF
- May 2012 - Good News - Ohio is approved for a 2013 No-Cost Extension of the current Public Charter School (PCSP) Grant; Statewide Educator Evaluation Symposium to be held May 25; Auditor of State announces reporting requirements for all public employees by May 4; BMI Screening tools contain minor modifications; Plans for makeup of excess calamity days via online lessions due July 31; Reminder of Reporting Requirements for "71-withdrew due to truancy/non-attendance"; ODE video recordings and webinars now accessible via You Tube; Video contest designed to combat child abuse deadline is May 15; Healthier students make better learners; Register for the 2012 All-Ohio Career Technical and Adult Educational conference; Understanding and addressing challenging behaviors of individuals with complex needs; Help guide the development of next generation assessments with on-line pilot; ODE creates on-line Safe and Supportive Learning Collaborative; Parents can work with their children using the Common Core State Standards; Updates from the Lau Resource Center; Free workshop offered on "Becoming a School of Character"; The Tartans: The story of an Appalachian charter school in Ohio. PDF
- April 2012 - Reminder - Please update building safety and floor plans; Girl Aggression is the April 4 webinar topic; NCLB webcast on NCLB waiver available online; Secretary Duncan talks technology at SXSWedu; NACSA offers information to districts on authorizing hybrid/blended community schools; Governor's Executive Order promotes employment for people with developmental disabilities; Documents on Student Growth Measures available; PE requirements for community schools outlined; Physical education evaluation training workshops scheduled through May; Food and beverage compliance report due; Join in a Facebook conversation for educators; Information on alternative pathway eligibility for a diploma available; Please review K-3 diagnostic assessment requirements; Does your grading system encourage students to do their best?; Free student motivation surveys available for Grades 6-12. PDF
- March 2012 - Start Ready, Graduate Ready forums planned; OTELA 2012 administration window open until March 9; Trainings set for new school meal patterns and CATS 12 ordering system; Please take the Community School Stakeholder Professional Development survey; Universal Design for Learning (UDL) webinar series - Part 1 is available; RttT funds ONET to build network to transform teaching and learning in lowest-performing schools; Closing Ohio's Achievement Gap; AgDiscovery 2012 program application deadline is March 16; Why should a community school be "accredited"? PDF
- February 2012 - Embrace higher performance expectations; an ESEA waiver update; Community School Stakeholder Professional Development Survey; Innovation grants and loans available; Revised standards webinars for curriculum directors continue; Focus Two of the revised standards and model curricula rollout meetings; Apply by March 1 to become a Green Ribbon School; Jan 25 and Jan 31 - Video conferences posted on OCS website; Blended Learning - Transforming the Classroom conference scheduled March 5; Ohio Economic Education Summit V to ask: What's your role?; Kathe Shelby Leadership Award nominations due March 30; Physical education evaluation information available; Groveport Community School receives "Emerging School of Character" Award. PDF
- January 2012 - Video conferences planned for community school sponsors and administrators; Military's categorizing certain communtiy school diplomas as Tier II is resolved; Check out eNEWS from the IDEA Partnership; Additional keynote speakers announced for Ohio Economic-Education Summit V; New alignment initiative makes transfer of CTE credit to post-secondary easier; USDOE announces new measure to safeguard student privacy; OSU's Stone Laboratory brings science to life for students, educators; Self-assessment is a valuable tool for modeling good character to students; Horizon Science Academy chess team takes top prize in recent competition. PDF
- December 2011 - Get straight on community school residency issues; Webinar about school meal eligibility scheduled for Dec. 13; Contribute to legislative recommendations for dropout prevention and recovery schools; Provide IRN number to speed ODE response time to inquiries; Be in the know when calamity days come; Congressional activity regarding military recruitment moves forward; Revised standards and model curricula meetings scheduled throughout school year; Free SAT and ACT preparation tools available online; Laws of Life Essay local contest winners can compete for statewide prizes; Give your parent involvement efforts a boost; Outreach Academy for Children with Disabilities earns highes PI ranking. PDF
- November 2011 - Three aspects of Ohio's ethics laws summarized; USDOE issues supplemental Ed Jobs award; Targeted professional development meetings scheduled for Ohio educators; Free anti-harrassment, intimidation and bullying webinars continue; Summit on 21st Century Skills to be held Dec. 8; School Finance offices for three regions relocated; Ohio for Exceptional Children (OEC) provides updates; Breakthrough Charter Schools receive a 3,488,060 federal grant. PDF
- September/October 2011 - Standards to be developed for ranking districts by student expenditures; Please complete upcoming shared services survey; Please report Supplemental Education Services (SES) concerns; Note updated deadlines for SOES data used in allocating federal funds; Register for programs through STARS; Sponsors are required to attend the RttT Update Workshop on Oct. 26; New community school developer meeting is Nov. 2; Required fall sponsor meeting scheduled for Nov. 10; Please update OEDS special education contacts; Ohio Schools of Character Summit to highlight best practices; Hispanic Heritage Month continues through Oct. 15; Old Brooklyn Community Middle Schools is now Excellent with Distinction. PDF
- August 2011 - 2011 Special Education Leadership Conference dedicated to Kathe Shelby; Calamity day provisions for community schools described; Compliance with Healthy Choices for Healthy Children Act outlined; SOES reminders are important to note; Please remember to observe Patriot Day on Sept. 11; Overview of state assessment activity provided for fall 2011; Session to help in understanding accountability and Value-Added data; Community schools required to provide Resident Educator programs for eligible teachers; Two community schools to be honored at Ohio Schools of Character Summit; Columbus Preparatory Academy celebrates Excellent with Distinction ranking. PDF
- July 2011 - Ohio was not awarded the PCSP grant this round; Note upcoming FY2011 dates for foundation payments; Register for programs through STARS; SOES training/refresher sessions scheduled; Attend Back to Basics transportation classes on August 4-5; Auditor of State training scheduled for August 15; New community school leaders must attend training on August 24; Session to help in understanding accountability-value-added data scheduled; Overview provided about dropout recovery waivers; State acencies offer webinar series to combat bullying and improve school climate; Learn about a Comprehensive System of Learning Supports; DECA is awarded RttT Innovation Grant. PDF
- June 2011 - USDOE sends update on PCSP grant; New legislation addresses military "tier" II diplomas; Please enter School Options Enrollment System (SOES) profile information; State Board adopts new value-added rules; Summer Teacher Academies in financial literacy held statewide; Application period opens for Very Special Arts (VSA) Ohio program; Register for August School Lunch Program workshops; Career-tech RttT grant funds new health care curricula; 2011 All-Ohio CTE Conference is July 26-28; Learn about INFOhio's free educator resources in new podcast; Shared vaues help create school touchstones; Dayton Daily News features DECA graduate. PDF
- May 2011 - PCSP grant update expected in mid-June; Please submit 5 Year-Forecasts; Note upcoming date for foundation payment; EMIS data submissions of financial data now required; Fiscal and planning activities required as Title IV - Part A funds conclude; Sponsor training on value-added and reporting enhancements scheduled; Child nutrition program administrators reminded of upcoming activities; Schedule for 2011 Summer Teacher Academies in financial literacy posted; Registration opens for Ohio's Fifth Annual Special Education Leadership Conference; 2011 All-Ohio CTE conference is July 26-28; Develop character with secondary literacy strategies; KIPP students accepted into the STEP Summer Program at Deerfield Academy. PDF
- April 2011 - RttT Innovative Program grant application modified and deadline extended; Obligation period for ARRA funds extended to Sept. 30, 2011; Note upcoming dates for foundation payments; Information about new calamity day legislation posted; Presentation proposals due June 1, 2011 for Ohio School Improvement Institute; 2001 All-Ohio CTE conference is July 26-28, 2011; Free training sessions to support military families are in May 2011; Time for National School Lunch Program (NSLP) schools to re-bid vending contracts; Make note of Healthy Choices for Healthy Children Act requirements; Take steps to engage families in their children's education; USDOE reminds schools on sexual violence protection responsilbilities; Character education "EUREKA teaching" award presented; Be aware of Medicaid in Schools Programs (MSP) updated; Resource center lists federal discretionary grants open to community schools; Dayton Early College Academy (DECA) to host a two-day workshop in June 2011; Horizon Science Academy students succeed at science and engineering fair. PDF
- March 2011 - PCSP grant submitted; Note upcoming dates for foundation payments; 2010-11 EMAD website is now open; OCALI offers new autism resource; Discount offered for assistive technology; Federal Child Nutrition Act authorized; Career-technical education program applications available; Remember pupil transportation requirements; Doris Kearns Goodwin to present virtual program for Ohio students; Ohio Global Institute applications are due April 15; Honor codes - do they work?; Columbus Collegiate Academy makes highest gains in student achievement; Eric Bode joins ODE as exective director for the Center for School Options and Finance. PDF
- March 2011-Special Edition Issue - Thanks to all for the TEAMWORK!; Final EdJobs applications due on March 25, 2011; Foundation Payments; Spring webinar series on credit flexibility begins March 29, 2011; Doris Kearns Goodwin to present virtual program for Ohio students; Ohio Global Institute; School or District of Character; Columbus Collegiate Academy - The Highest Gain MiddleSchool in the Nation. PDF
- February 2011 - ARRA 1512 reporting data collection begins; Alternative Assessment Videos posted; Special education performance plan and annual report submitted to USDOE; OAA spring test offers flexibility/specific guidelines; Community Schools are encouraged to apply for 2011 Summer Food Service Program; Training dates announced on new licensure structure and Master Teacher scoring; New fact sheet with lastest data on Ohio CTE students; Medicaid School Program (MSP) update; Laws of Life Essay contest; Barb Mattei-Smith transfers to governor's office. PDF
- January 2011 - Public Charter School Grant update; Annual Report posted online; OCS mail stop and fax update; Ed Jobs allocations expected soon; Payment dates for FY2011; CCIP Note 238 reallocations; RttT regional meetings; Updated OIP and SIG contact information; Proposed changes to Expenditures for Internet or Computer-based community school rules; Proposed changes to value-added rules; Officers of community schools liability for public funds; Disregard requests to file as a charitable trust; Registration open for annual Ohio Economic - Education Summit; Resident Educator Program sessions; Parent Involvement Coordinators' meeting. PDF
Previous newsletters have been archived