Since 2003, the Ohio Department of Education has recognized selected Ohio schools for their accomplishments in promoting a healthy school nutrition environment by awarding them the Stellar Award for Best Nutrition Practices.
Schools are judged for the award based on their efforts and accomplishments in the following categories:
- The type of meal service provided for students, such as school breakfast or lunch;
- The quality of meals served, including purchasing and preparation practices that reflect the national Dietary Guidelines for Americans;
- The availability of healthy choices in a la carte and vending items;
- Continuing education and training opportunities for food service staff;
- Efforts made to provide a pleasant eating environment for students; and
- The implementation of nutrition education, marketing programs and activities that target students, staff, parents and the community.
Stellar Award Winners: