In 2007, Senate Bill 118 was introduced to address reforms in physical education. Three parts of SB 118 were included in House Bill 119 – the state’s FY08-09 operating budget bill:
- ODE to employ full-time physical education coordinator;
- Schools to report physical education data for K-8 by Oct. 31, 2007; and
- State Board of Education to adopt National Association of Sports and Physical Education (NASPE) standards for K-12 or own standards.
To see a PowerPoint presentation discussing Physical Education in Ohio, click here. To access ODE's Frequently Asked Questions about the Physical Education Graduation Requirements page, click here.
Physical Education Data Collection Survey
Ohio’s budget bill (Am. Sub. H.B. 119) required that each school district, community school and chartered nonpublic school report to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) certain information concerning the provision of physical education to kindergarten through eighth-grade students for the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 school years. The bill stipulated that school districts, community schools and chartered nonpublic schools provide this information to ODE by Oct. 31, 2007.
- To access the report, click here (PDF).
- To access all data, click here (Excel).
Lisa Lyle Henry