The No Child Left Behind – Blue Ribbon Schools Program (NCLB-BRS) is a national recognition program, honoring elementary and secondary schools in the United States that make significant progress in closing achievement gaps or whose students achieve at the highest levels in their state. Through this program, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) recognizes and presents as models these elementary and secondary schools.
USDOE allows the Ohio Department of Education to nominate 14 public schools each year. At least five of these 14 must have 40 percent or more students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. There are two categories for nomination:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools, performing in the top 15 percent of schools in the state as measured by state assessments in both reading and mathematics.
- Schools with Exemplary Improvement, showing the most progress in reducing achievement gaps and in improving student performance as measured by state assessments in both reading and mathematics, and that have at least 40 percent of their students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The schools with 40 percent or more poverty may fall into either category. Schools with less than 40 percent poverty only qualify for the high performing category.
Once nominated by ODE, these public schools must apply to USDOE for this award. In keeping with No Child Left Behind, the application focuses primarily on student performance and scientifically based instructional programs.
USDOE invites the Council for American Private Education (CAPE) to nominate private schools that meet the high performing and exemplary improvement criteria for recognition. Private schools interested in being nominated apply directly to CAPE.
Federal Blue Ribbon Site
2011 Blue Ribbon Public School Awardees
- Cardington-Lincoln Elementary School, Cardington-Lincoln Local, Morrow
- Citizens Academy, Sponsor: Cleveland Municipal, Cuyahoga
- Kensington Intermediate Elementary School, Rocky River City, Cuyahoga
- Kings Mills Elementary School, Kings Local, Warren
- Lake Elementary School, Lake Local, Stark
- Maplewood Elementary School, Maplewood Local, Trumbull
- Putman Elementary School, Blanchester Local, Clinton
- South Range High School, South Range Local, Mahoning
- Springboro High School, Springboro Community City, Warren
- Timmons Elementary School, Kenston Local, Geauga
- Union Elementary School, Upper Sandusky Exempted Village, Wyandot
- West Boulevard Elementary School, Boardman Local, Mahoning
2011 Blue Ribbon Private School Awardees
- All Saints School, Cincinnati, Hamilton
- Saint Angela Merici School, Fairview Park, Cuyahoga
- Saint Barnabas Catholic School, Northfield, Summit
- St. Columban School, Loveland, Clermont
- St. Francis Xavier School, Medina, Medina
- St. Joan of Arc School, Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga
2012 Criteria and Nominees
Office of Policy and Research
25 S. Front Street, Mail Stop 708
Columbus, Ohio 43215-4183
(614) 387-0546 Office